With the sub-prime mortgage affecting homeowners and home sales, it may or may not be a good time to buy a home. However, when the housing market begins to level off, you may wish to consider the following cities that are cited as the best places to buy a home to retire:
* Wichita, Kansas. With a median home price of $157,000, this city has been listed as one of the most affordable cities to buy a home.
* Omaha, Nebraska. With home sales averaging $226,000, this city has a low unemployment rate.
* Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. This city offers homes for $226,000 as well, and is located east of Philadelphia. Rich in history and cultural diversity, this may be an excellent choice. Moreover, its about four hours from New York City.
* Madison, Wisconsin. With a price range of $266,000, Madison has a beautiful landscape and is a friendly city. With its many museums, among them the Frank Lloyd Wright Museum, this is one place you can truly call home.
* San Antonio, Texas. This city has home sales averaging $172,000. It is filled with historic sites such as the Alamo, and the people here are warm and friendly as well.
* Indianapolis, Indiana. Median home prices average $166,000. Home to the well-known pharmaceutical company Eli Lilly, Indianapolis is also home to the Indy 500, the National Football Leagues Colts, and has a diverse culture as well.
* Pittsburgh, Pa. The home prices here average $149,000. It is most affordable for retirees. Home to the Pittsburgh Steelers, it is known for its friendly people and holds its values and traditions close to the heart. This is a great city for families.
* Dallas, Texas. At a median price of $205,000, Dallas has the most jobs and housing of all the cities listed.
* Tulsa, Oklahoma. For $158,000, you can buy a fantastic home in Tulsa. It has a booming economy due to the energy industry, and is a beautiful place to live with its parks, historic sites, and gardens. Touted as a great place to raise a family, Tulsa is very affordable in todays housing market.
If you are considering buying a home that is in foreclosure, take some time and research this method. Buying a home in foreclosure can create more problems than necessary. As stated earlier, it may be a good idea to give the housing market time to settle down. In the meanwhile, you can research the aforementioned cities in depth to determine if they are right for you and your family.
Thanks for reading!
For more info: